US Expected to Announce Withdrawal From UN Rights Council

The United States is expected Tuesday to announce it is pulling out of the United Nations’ Human Rights Council, according to State Department officials.

Officials speaking on condition of anonymity told reporters from several outlets that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley are expected to make a joint appearance to announce the decision.

Haley threatened last year that the U.S. might pull out of the 47-nation group over its repeated criticism of Israel and inclusion of nations with poor records on human rights. The move follows months of talks on reforming the council.

On Monday, the U.N.’s human rights chief, Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein of Jordan, denounced the U.S. policy of separating parents and children who cross into the United States illegally.

 


Trump Meeting With Lawmakers Amid Migrant Controversy

U.S. President Donald Trump is meeting with Republican lawmakers Tuesday about immigration legislation amid growing cries for him to end his migrant policy separating children from their parents at the U.S. southern border with Mexico as they illegally enter the United States.

Trump, in several Twitter comments, continued to defend his break-up-the-families policy, saying, “We must always arrest people coming into our Country illegally.”

He said, “Now is the best opportunity ever for Congress to change the ridiculous and obsolete laws on immigration. Get it done, always keeping in mind that we must have strong border security.”

The House of Representatives is set to vote later in the week on two immigration bills, including provisions that would curb the separation of children from their parents at the border. The measures would also create a path to citizenship for up to 1.8 million young immigrants already in the U.S. who were brought illegally to the U.S. years ago by their parents, but it is not clear that either piece of legislation has enough votes to win passage.

In a meeting with Republican senators Monday, Trump threatened to shut the government in late September, as a new fiscal year starts October 1, if Congress does not approve $25 billion in funding for a wall along the Mexican border to thwart further illegal migration into the U.S. So far, Congress has approved little funding for the barrier, keeping Trump from meeting one of his signature vows during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Numerous Republican and Democratic lawmakers have called for Trump to abandon the border policy as indefensible. All four former living U.S. first ladies, Michelle Obama, Laura Bush, Hillary Clinton and Rosalynn Carter, condemned the separation of children from their parents.

Trump’s wife, Melania Trump, through a spokeswoman, said she “hates to see children separated from their families” and that the U.S. should be “a country that follows all laws, but also a country that governs with heart.”

One Republican governor, Maryland’s Larry Hogan, in an act of protest of Trump’s policy on breaking up families when they are detained, withdrew the state’s small National Guard contingent from the border where it had been assisting federal agents. Another Republican governor, Massachusetts’ Charlie Baker, dropped his offer to send troops to the border.

In a Washington speech, Trump said Mexico does “nothing for us” to block the flow of immigrants from reaching the U.S.

“If you don’t have Borders, you don’t have a Country!” Trump tweeted.

He once again inaccurately blamed opposition Democrats for the border dispute, even though his administration set the policy on separating children from their parents.

“Democrats are the problem,” Trump tweeted. “They don’t care about crime and want illegal immigrants, no matter how bad they may be, to pour into and infest our Country, like MS-13. They can’t win on their terrible policies, so they view them as potential voters!

Mexico weighed in on the controversy, strongly rebuking Trump.

“In the name of the Mexican government and people, I want to express our most categorical and energetic condemnation of this cruel and inhuman policy,” Foreign Minister Luis Videgaray told a news conference.

 


Теніс: Світоліна вийшла до другого кола в Бірмінгемі

Перша ракетка України Еліна Світоліна вийшла до другого кола турніру в англійському Бірмінгемі. В стартовому поєдинку Світоліна переграла 55-ту ракетку світу, 21-річну хорватку Донну Векіч у трьох сетах – 6:1, 3:6, 6:1.

Світоліна, сіяна в Бірмінгемі другою, вже тричі перемагала Векіч, але це було на інших покриттях – ґрунті та харді. Змагання в Англії відбуваються на траві, провідні тенісистки проводять таким чином підготовку до неофіційного чемпіонату світу на цьому покритті – Вімблдонського турніру.

Цей турнір розпочнеться на кортах Всеанглійського клубу лаун-тенісу та крокету 2 липня і триватиме до 15 липня.


Керівники держави висловили співчуття у зв’язку зі смертю Івана Драча

«Це була Людина, яка тонко відчувала Україну та її душу. Щирі співчуття рідним та друзям Івана Федоровича. Вічна пам‘ять…» – президент Петро Порошенко


Upping Ante, Trump Threatens New Tariffs on Chinese Imports

President Donald Trump directed the U.S. Trade Representative to prepare new tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese imports Monday as the two nations moved closer to a potential trade war.

 

The tariffs, which Trump wants set at a 10 percent rate, would be the latest round of punitive measures in an escalating dispute over the large trade imbalance between the two countries. Trump recently ordered tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods in retaliation for intellectual properly theft. The tariffs were quickly matched by China on U.S. exports.

 

“China apparently has no intention of changing its unfair practices related to the acquisition of American intellectual property and technology,” Trump said in a statement Monday announcing the new action. “Rather than altering those practices, it is now threatening United States companies, workers, and farmers who have done nothing wrong.”

 

Trump added: “These tariffs will go into effect if China refuses to change its practices, and also if it insists on going forward with the new tariffs that it has recently announced.”

 

Trump said that if China responds to this fresh round of tariffs, then he will move to counter “by pursuing additional tariffs on another $200 billion of goods.”

 

Trump’s comments came hours after the top U.S. diplomat accused China of engaging in “predatory economics 101” and an “unprecedented level of larceny” of intellectual property.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made the remarks at the Detroit Economic Club as global markets reacted to trade tensions between the U.S. and China. Both nations started putting trade tariffs in motion that are set to take effect July 6.

 

He said China’s recent claims of “openness and globalization” are “a joke.” He added that China is a “predatory economic government” that is “long overdue in being tackled,” matters that include IP theft and Chinese steel and aluminum flooding the U.S. market.

 

“Everyone knows … China is the main perpetrator,” he said. “It’s an unprecedented level of larceny.”

 

“Just ask yourself: Would China have allowed America to do to it what China has done to America?” he said later. “This is predatory economics 101.”

 

The Chinese Embassy in Washington did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

 

Pompeo raised the trade issue directly with China last week, when he met in Beijing with President Xi Jinping and others.

 

“I reminded him that’s not fair competition,” Pompeo said.

 

President Donald Trump had announced a 25 percent tariff on up to $50 billion in Chinese imports. China is retaliating by raising import duties on $34 billion worth of American goods, including soybeans, electric cars and whiskey. Trump also has slapped tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from Canada, Mexico and European allies.

 

Wall Street has viewed the escalating trade tensions with wariness, fearful they could strangle the economic growth achieved during Trump’s watch. Gary Cohn, Trump’s former top economic adviser, said last week that a “tariff battle” could result in price inflation and consumer debt — “historic ingredients for an economic slowdown.”

 

Pompeo on Monday described U.S. actions as “economic diplomacy,” which, when done right, strengthens national security and international alliances, he added.

 

“We use American power, economic might and influence as a tool of economic policy,” he said. “We do our best to call out unfair economic behaviors as well.”

 

In a statement, Trump says he has an “excellent relationship” with Xi, “but the United States will no longer be taken advantage of on trade by China and other countries in the world.”


Trump Administration Seeks to Limit Court’s ‘Sanctuary Cities’ Order

The Trump administration, escalating its fight with so-called sanctuary cities, asked the U.S. Supreme Court on Monday to narrow a lower court’s nationwide order preventing the federal government from denying public safety grants to municipalities that limit cooperation on immigration enforcement.

The Justice Department asked the high court to make the injunction issued by a federal judge in Chicago cover only that city and not the entire country.

Republican President Donald Trump’s administration has gone on an offensive against Democratic-governed cities and states that protect illegal immigrants as part of his hard-line immigration policies.

The Justice Department said the injunction “strays far beyond the traditional, proper role of federal courts.” The justices likely will ask the city of Chicago for a response before deciding on the request.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions has criticized lower courts for imposing nationwide injunctions against some of the administration’s most contentious policies.

Chicago sued the administration last year after Sessions said he would cut off cities from certain grants unless they allowed federal immigration authorities unlimited access to local jails and provided advance notice before releasing anyone wanted for immigration violations.

Since the injunction was issued last year, the Justice Department said it has not issued grants to the nearly 1,000 state and local jurisdictions that have applied, amounting to more than $250 million in funds.

The Chicago-based 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the injunction in April, saying Sessions likely exceeded his authority in imposing the conditions on the grants. The 7th Circuit said that because nationwide injunctions have such a powerful effect, judges should rarely grant them, but doing so was proper in this case.

Nationwide injunctions also have blocked Trump’s bid to wind down a program protecting immigrants brought into the United States illegally as children from deportation, and to exempt more religious-based employers from a requirement that health insurance provided to employees covers birth control for women.


US Senate Passes Defense Bill, Battle Looms With Trump Over China’s ZTE

The U.S. Senate passed a $716 billion defense policy bill on Monday, backing President Donald Trump’s call for a bigger, stronger military but setting up a potential battle with the White House over Chinese telecommunications firm ZTE Corp.

The Republican-controlled Senate voted 85-10 for the annual National Defense Authorization Act, or NDAA, which authorizes U.S. military spending but is generally used as a vehicle for a broad range of policy matters.

Before it can become law, the bill must be reconciled with one already passed by the House of Representatives. That compromise measure must then be passed by both chambers and signed into law by Trump.

The fiscal 2019 Senate version of the NDAA authorizes $639 billion in base defense spending, for such things as buying weapons, ships and aircraft and paying the troops, with an additional $69 billion to fund ongoing conflicts.

This year, the Senate included an amendment that would kill the Trump administration’s agreement to allow ZTE to resume business with U.S. suppliers. That ZTE provision is not included in the House version of the NDAA.

While strongly supported by some of Trump’s fellow Republicans as well as some Democrats, the measure is opposed by the White House and some of its close Republican allies, who control the House as well as the Senate.

It could face a difficult path to being included in the final NDAA.

That bill is more likely to include a much less stringent provision, included in the House bill, that would bar the Defense Department from dealing with any entity using telecommunications equipment or services from ZTE or another Chinese company, Huawei Technologies.

Republicans and Democrats have expressed national security concerns about ZTE after it broke an agreement to discipline executives who had conspired to evade U.S. sanctions on Iran and North Korea.

The U.S. government placed a ban on ZTE earlier this year, but the Trump administration reached an agreement to lift the ban while it is negotiating broader trade agreements with China and looking to Beijing for support during negotiations to halt North Korea’s nuclear weapons program.

Foreign investment rules

The Senate version of the NDAA also seeks to strengthen the inter-agency Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, which assesses deals to ensure they do not compromise national security.

The bill would allow CFIUS to expand the deals that can be reviewed, for example making reviews of many proposed transactions mandatory instead of voluntary and allowing CFIUSto review land purchases near sensitive military sites.

The Senate NDAA also includes an amendment prohibiting sales to Turkey of F-35 Joint Strike Fighter jets made by Lockheed Martin Corp unless Trump certifies Turkey is not threatening NATO, purchasing defense equipment from Russia or detaining U.S. citizens.

Senators included the legislation because of the imprisonment of U.S. pastor Andrew Brunson and the purchase of the S-400 air defense system from Russia.

Shipbuilders General Dynamics Corp and Huntington Ingalls Industries Inc could benefit from the bill’s authorization of advance procurement of materials needed for the Virginia class nuclear submarines.

This year’s Senate bill was named after six-term Senator John McCain, the Armed Services Committee’s Republican chairman and Vietnam War prisoner of war, who has been absent from Washington all year as he undergoes treatment for brain cancer.


Мінінформполітики вважає неприпустимим відключення за борги мовлення телеканалу «UA:Перший» – заява

Міністерство інформаційної політики вважає неприпустимим відключення за борги мовлення телеканалу «UA:Перший», йдеться у заяві міністерства, розміщеній на офіційному сайті.

Зокрема, міністр інформаційної політики Юрій Стець наголосив, що у зв’язку із цією ситуацією Кабінет Міністрів і Верховна Рада мають вирішити питання про фінансування Національного суспільного телебачення негайно.

«Кабінет Міністрів України разом з Верховною Радою України мають вирішити питання про фінансування Національного суспільного телебачення України негайно. Свої пропозиції щодо погашення боргу НСТУ перед концерном РРТ Міністерство інформаційної політики України подасть на розгляд уряду у найближчі дні», – заявив міністр інформаційної політики Юрій Стець.

18 червня телеканал «UA:Перший» повідомив, що Концерн радіомовлення, радіозв’язку та телебачення (концерн РРТ) через борги припинив аналогову трансляцію телеканалу в Києві, а також у Білопіллі, Вінниці, Дніпрі, Ізюмі, Ковелі, Одесі, Тернополі та Чернігові.

«З квітня 2018 року грошей на оплату трансляції в бюджеті, виділеному Верховною Радою «Суспільному», не передбачено зовсім. Це призвело до появи заборгованості перед РРТ у 75,12 мільйона гривень», – вказує телеканал.

Концерн РРТ поінформував НСТУ, що припинення аналогової трансляції відбуватиметься щоденно з 6:00 до 18:00 й триватиме до моменту погашення боргу.


У Херсоні побили журналіста. Він припускає: нападники могли бути ті самі, що й на одеського активіста Устименка

Двоє чоловіків, які вранці 18 червня побили головного редактора херсонського сайту «Мост», представника ГО «Інститут масової інформації» у Херсонській області Сергія Нікітенка, схожі на людей, які раніше завдали ножових поранень голові одеського «Автомайдану» Віталію Устименкові. Про це Радіо Свобода розповів сам Нікітенко.

 «Можливо, це – якась спецоперація із залякування небайдужих людей: громадських активістів, журналістів. Можливо, до цього має стосунок наш агресивний сусід», – каже Нікітенко.

За його словами, вранці 18 червня, біля автомобільної стоянки на нього напали двоє чоловіків, які побили журналіста, а потім сіли у автомобіль «Тойота» з транзитними номерами і поїхали. Під час побиття чоловіки нічого не говорили.

Сергій Нікітенко вважає, що хоч останнім часом і написав чимало гострих публікацій, у яких фігурували місцеві чиновники, але вони не завдали їм такої шкоди, щоб хтось замовляв його побиття.

Також каже, що виключає побутові причини побиття:«У мене дуже давно не було ні з ким настільки гострих особистих конфліктів».

Як розповіла керівник прес-служби Управління Національної поліції у Херсонські області Ірина Атаманенко, за фактом злочину відкрито кримінально провадження за статтею Кримінального кодексу про погрозу або насильство щодо журналіста.

За словами Атаманенко, цього року поліція регіону не відкривала жодного такого кримінального провадження, але є два провадження за заявами місцевих журналістів про перешкоджання їх діяльності. 


Активісти закликали закріпити у Конституції цифрові права користувачів інтернету – заява

Низка громадських організації виступили із заявою на підтримку вільного інтернету в Україні. Під документом, зокрема, підписались «Інтерньюз-Україна», «Детектор Медіа», «ЦЕДЕМ», Інститут розвитку регіональної преси», «Інститут масової інформації», «Центр UA», Фундація «Суспільність», «Інформаційна безпека» та інші.

«Право на доступ до інтернету, а також основні цифрові права користувачів мають бути закріплені в Конституції України. Право на доступ до Інтернету відповідає базовому праву на отримання /збір інформації, закріпленому в нинішній редакції Конституції України, однак не обмежується лише цими нормами», – мовиться у заяві.

Зокрема, у документі йдеться про право на анонімність в інтернеті, на приватність і захищеність персональних даних, в тому числі – на захист від несанкціонованого стеження і збору інформації провайдерами послуг та державними органами. Окрім того, зазначається, що обмеженню на підставі закону можуть підлягати лише ті ресурси, діяльність яких прямо й очевидно може бути розцінена як складова прямої чи прихованої військової агресії.

Раніше, наприкінці травня, громадські активісти закликали українську владу відмовитись від практики блокування сайтів без рішення суду. У заяві вказується, що йдеться про указ президента №126/2018 , яким введено в дію рішення РНБО від 2 травня, серед іншого, указ зобов’язує операторів та телекомунікаційні компанії обмежити доступ до понад 150 сайтів, зокрема, 1tv.com, ria.ru, ren.tv, sputniknews.com, inosmi.ru.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



    $.99* .COM Domain! You be you with us!     Web Hosting $3.95